expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

April 27, 2017

Choose Your Own Ending Right Here

Have you ever read a book in which you got to "choose your own ending"? For instance, something like this: if you want Robby to return the stolen watch turn to page 32. If you want him to give it to Silas turn to page 23. Aren't those books fun?


Well, I have some options for YOU to choose your own ending with a couple of my own flash fiction stories! (In other words, very short stories.)

To make it even more fun, let's use my Story Cubes. My kids and I did this together once. It was a blast! Watch this video and you will get the gist. Don't forget to laugh as much as we do.





All right. It's your turn. Let's start with the hand. And then you can choose your own ending! Keep in mind Story Cubes are meant to be completely impromptu, so with each of these scenarios I just wrote the first thing that came to my head. =)




"What's up!" I cried to my best friend, Bree. We each lifted our palms for a deafening high five.

"Where are we going today?" she asked.

Choose where Bree and I will go today.


Stars
Home 
Ocean


______________________________________________________________________________





Home

"Let's go to my house," I replied.

"Okay."

We passed Mrs. Greer's house who was watering flowers on her porch, then Billy's house whose kid brother rode his big wheel up and down the driveway and then we reached my house. I kicked the screen door open with my foot. 

"Mom! I'm home!" I hollered.

No answer.

"She's not home?" Bree asked.

"I guess not."

The two of us exchanged grins. "Basement time!" we cried in unison.

We clamored down the wooden stairs and into the basement where my parents never let us play.

"It's dark down here," Bree said. "Where's the light?"

I flipped the switch next to the door. Nothing happened. I did it again. Nothing. Then, we heard a big bang somewhere next to us. I squealed and Bree let out a full-on yelp.

"What was that?" Bree asked.

"I don't know. Who's there?" I called.

No answer, just a screeching noise across the floor.

"What is that?" Bree asked, her voice shaking.

"The…the c-c-cat?" I stuttered.

Abruptly, I felt a strong hand grab my arm. I shrieked at the same time Bree yelled in my ear.
Then a light turned on.  I blinked and saw my mom holding a flashlight to her face.

"Do you still want to play in the basement?" she asked.



_______________________________________________________________________________

Ocean

"Let's go to the ocean!" I said.

"Yay!" Bree squealed. She grabbed my hand as we ran up the neighboring hill and down the other side to the shore. My running slowed as I reached the warm sand. I plopped down just before the water's edge. Bree plopped down next to me.

"Let's build a sand castle!" Bree suggested.

"Of course, what else would we do on the beach?"

The two of us dug and dug our hands, arms, and feet deep into the sand.

"This can be the watering hole where the servants get water for the princess in the castle," I said.

"I'm the princess!" Bree cried cheerfully.

"You're always the princess," I complained. "It's me this time."

"No, me!" Bree said as she playfully threw a piece of mud at me.

I threw one back. We laughed at each other as we threw mud back and forth when suddenly a gigantic wave washed over us. 

I gasped. Then I realized I was underwater—and I was breathing! I looked over at Bree. She still had her dark, curly hair, but instead of legs she had a large purple fin. I gasped again as I looked down at my own legs. I had a green fin!

Bree and I looked at each other in awe.  We squealed as we spun around in a circle, admiring ourselves. Then she grabbed my hand again and we swam deep into the ocean where we discovered our new mermaid world we would call home.

________________________________________________________________________________

Stars

"Let's go to space!" Bree exclaimed.

"Good idea," I grinned. I grabbed Bree's hand and closed my eyes. "Starlight, starlight, let the first star come to light."

A rushing wind waved through my ears and hair. I opened my eyes.

"Here it is!" Bree cried. "Here's the star!"

The two of us jumped on the star together and up, up, up we went—past the roof, past the trees, and past the clouds.

Once I could see the earth below us I gazed upward where billions of stars came to view. I spread my arms wide and leaned back. "No gravity!" I yelled as I floated around the black space.

"Hey, look at this!" Bree called. "The stars are bouncy!"

I looked over to where Bree was jumping on a bright star as if it were a trampoline. "And look how far I can jump!" Bree leaped from star to star.

"Let me try!" I stood back up on the star that transported us to space and jumped and jumped. "You're right!" I cried. 

Then Bree and I hopped back and forth from star to star.

"Megan!" I heard my mother call.

"Wow. I can hear my mom all the way up in space!" I said.

"Megan. Why are you jumping on the couch? Get down!"

I turned to my mother who stood in the living room of my house. I ducked my head. "Sorry, Mom."


______________________________________________________________________________


There you are! Which version did you like best?



No comments: