expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

June 12, 2018

"We Are One World, One People"

So much of the news and other media is filled with anger, contention, competition, resentment, jealousy, blaming, pride, self-aggrandizing, mockery, bullying, abuse, and even hate. How did the world get this way? 

Some people live in poverty. Some live with a chronic illness. Many people live day by day in utter loneliness. Worse yet, others live daily as victims of abuse of the worst kind. When I think about all the horrible things in the world, I feel sad, discouraged and fearful. There has to be goodness and beauty somewhere, right?

Not too long ago I went to my kids' chorale concert. I was really looking forward to this since music, in general, uplifts my soul. But one song, in particular, helped me feel enormously better about the world. The title, in Japanese, is "Si-Si Ni Moja," which means "We are One." 

These beautiful lyrics gave me chills and filled my heart:

We all laugh, we all cry, we all feel hunger, we all feel pain, we all love, we all hope, and we all dream.

♫We are one world, one people. And we all breathe the same. A tribe of many languages, a group of many heartaches, fighting for peace among the land.

♫Heja, heja, si-si ni moja. Heja, heja, si-si ni moja.♫


This is exactly how I feel! We're all human and children of God, so why are we trying to label each other and separate each other and blame each other? Another reason this song touched me was because I realized (again) there are many others who feel this way! The world has good people all around me! 

It seemed that in those few minutes of that magical melody the singers and audience were all feeling the same beautiful sentiment. It was one of those precious moments that I treasure. I treasure it not only because my children were on stage sharing their talents and spreading joy through music, but because I felt like my little part of the world in my little town was a little more unified and a little more loving—which is exactly what the world needs.



This isn't my children's chorale, but they're still good!

No comments: