expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

July 3, 2018

For Writers: What do you do with that pesky story that you don't have time to write?

What do you do with all those stories in your head that you don't have time to deal with?

Whether you consider yourself to be a writer or a wannabe writer you definitely have stories that are buzzing around in your head, right? Sometimes they come in the middle of the night, sometimes they come while driving, or standing in line at the grocery store, or even in the shower. We all know they don't come at convenient times when we can write them down immediately. But that's not important, I don't think. What IS important is that we DO write them down. YOUR story is valuable.

When I first starting thinking about writing I decided to take a (free) amateur writing class. One of the first things we discussed from Julia Cameron's book "The Right to Write" was that "each story wants to be written." Sounds kinda crazy when you say it like that, I know. But, if a story is in your head you might as well get it out, right? 



But who has time to write some random story in his head, even if it's a true story about his life?

I totally get this. Been there, done that. Still there, actually. But this is what I try to do to help with the problem. Since I "don’t have time" to write down the full-length novel in my head, rather than not doing anything I just write the idea down. Otherwise, a potentially great story will be gone forever.

Let me explain. On my desktop, I have a file folder titled, "Story Ideas." In this file folder, I have several one-page files with whatever part of a story I happened to think of that particular day. Sometimes it's a basic outline of a story, other times it's just a few scenes. Either way, I'll write a brief summary. Here's one that's in my folder right now tentatively titled, "Butterflies."


People with a butterfly on their body have at least one magical power.

Violet has the power of feeling what other people feel.

Darren has the power of making things around him invisible and/or look like something else.            

There is persecution against butterflies. They were kicked out of the community and now they "hide" among other communities by not allowing others to know of their powers.            

In the beginning, Violet is running through the dark woods (running away from persecutors). She is very sick with kidney problems and is about to die. Some ladies find her and bring her to a castle that is "hidden" by Darren. This castle is a safe haven for "butterflies." She is nursed to health there. He makes himself "look" handsome as the head of the household. But he falls in love with Violet and wants her to love him for who he is. So his normal self comes around to woo her. He doesn't know what Violet's power is.


Violet goes to visit her grown children who are "hiding" in the towns. Her son can double his strength (that's his power). Her daughter can sense if people are telling the truth. And maybe one of them has exceptional hearing.

 

Pretty interesting, right? I think so. An interesting idea, anyway. And when I read this file I remember the exact story that's in the back of my mind somewhere. And if I've thought of something new I can add it.

When I look back at these files I have one of two reactions. 
1. I'm super excited: Oh, yeah! I remember this! When should I write this one? 
2. Disgusted: What is this? This is a horrible idea.

Just today I looked at a file titled, "Kissing Saga in College." Um, yikes. I can't even write about this embarrassing idea, it's so ridiculous. It must have been one of those ideas I got in the middle of the night. Or worse, early morning.


Anyway, filing my ideas like this allows me to keep the idea safe and not have to carry it with me wherever I go. Then, we I come back to them I can decide if it's brilliant or not. And if it's not brilliant I can make it brilliant. 

So go ahead. Write down those terrible "kissing saga" ideas. 😊

No comments: